I am participating in an eight week training class at TCU called The Story Circle Network. The Story Circle Network is a national not-for-profit membership organization made up of women who want to document their lives and explore their personal stories through journaling, memoir, autobiography, personal essays, poetry, drama, and mixed-media.
Each week, we will learn skills and techniques to help us to delve into ourselves and discover and become aware of our lives. Storytelling allows us to document these experiences.
Throughout the eight week course, we each have two assignments which we will present to the other women in the class. Our assignments will be to write an essay (up to 5 pages in legnth) and then we will discuss them in the class. Two women will present per week. My first assignment will be October 4th. I chose the first week, although God only knows why, and my second presentation will be November 1st.
We were asked to make a list of 10 factors/events that have been important in our lives as a stepping stone to help us with our storytelling. Here is my list:
1. Marriage
2. Children
3. Travel
4. Divorce
5. Loss of faith/gaining of faith
6. Single parenthood
7. Full time employment
8. Becoming a grandmother/teenage daughter pregnancy
9. Cooking
10. History/genealogy
11. Family/friends
Ok, so I added another. There were many but these hightlighted my most important.
Another thing suggested was that we write our own obituary.
As I discover more, I will continue my storytelling.
Evalynn at 1 Year
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment